For the sauce:
800g Peeled tomatoes
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp paprika flakes
5 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 bell pepper, finely chopped
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
¼ tsp sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
A little oil for frying
Tofu “egg” mixture:
400g Taifun tofu
3 tbsp Vantastic Foods nutritional yeast flakes
170ml Provamel rice drink
¼ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp Kala Namak
+ bread to serve
1. Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and paprika, and stir. Cook for around 5-7 minutes until softer.
2. In the meantime, prepare the tofu mixture. Add the tofu, nutritional yeast, Kala Namak, garlic powder and plant-based drink to a mixer and blend everything until you have a smooth mixture. Season, taste and add more seasoning if necessary, and set aside.
3. Now add the garlic to the pan.
4. After around 2 minutes, add the tomatoes, cumin, paprika flakes and a pinch of salt and ground black pepper. Mix all the ingredients well, put a lid on the pan, and leave the sauce to simmer for around 3-5 minutes.
5. Remove the lid, make small wells in the sauce and spoon your tofu mix in.
6. Put the lid back on the pan, cook the shakshuka for 5 minutes with the lid on to cook it through, and then for a further 5-8 minutes without the lid so that all of the excess liquid can evaporate until the tofu mix has solidified.
7. Take off the hob and leave to cool until solidified (at least 5 minutes).
8. Top with chopped parsley. Serve with flatbread or any type of crispy bread, and enjoy!