Ingredients (for six people):
- 250 g wheat flour
- pinch of salt
- 5 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 130ml water, warm
- 20g Alsan (melted)
- 100g chopped nuts or almonds
- cinnamon sugar
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 2kg apples, sour variety
- vegan alternative to cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 200ml hot water
- 1 pack vanilla sauce
- 500ml almond drink
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Put flour into a mixing bowl and add salt. Make a hole in the flour in the middleand add vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar and hand-hot water and process quickly to a smooth strudel. The strudel must be smooth, elastic and soft. Divide the dough into two equal portions and form into balls, brush them with a little vegetable oil and let it rest, covered with a clean kitchen towel, for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Fry chopped nuts or almonds with some cinnamon sugar in a pan and set aside.
- Also fry breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Mix vegan alternative to cream cheese in a mixing bowl with icing sugar.
- Peel apples, cut in half, cut out cores and chop into cubes.
- Pour hot water over raisins in a small bowl and let soak for a few minutes, then drain and squeeze.
- Spread a dry, clean tablecloth on a large work surface and sprinkle with a little flour. Roll out the strudel dough balls separately with a floured rolling pin. Brush the rolled strudel immediately with half the melted vegetable margarine (Alsan) and spread half the alternative to cream cheese evenly over the dough. Spread the toasted bread crumbs and cinnamon nuts on about 2/3 of the strudel surface (not on the edges of the dough). Spread half of the apple cubes and the raisins evenly.
Fold the dough edges, lift the whole dough and gently roll it into a strudel. Use the cloth to gently slide on a lined baking tray, making sure that the dough crust comes to lie down.
Do the same with the second ball of dough as described above and fill it with the remaining ingredients.
Bake both strudels at 180 °C in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes, brush with some melted vegetable margarine and bake until golden brown for another 30 minutes.
- Prepare custard according to package instructions: Add the sauce powder with 4 tablespoons of almond milk and 2 tablespoons sugar, stir thoroughly. Bring remaining almond drink to a boil, add the sauce powder is agitated and briefly bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a whisk together into a smooth custard. Serve cold or hot with fresh apple strudel.
Recipe by Sophie Mathisz