Ingredients (for three people):
- 5-6 vegan pita bread
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 red onion
- some olive oil, for frying
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 1 grilled pepper (from a jar)
- black pepper, freshly ground
- some black cumin
- handful basil leaves
- 120g vegan alternative to cheese, meltable
- Peel the onion and cut off the ends. Halve and cut into very fine pieces or half rings. Wash zucchini and cut off the ends, cut in half lengthwise. Halve the halves lengthwise and cut into very thin slices.
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan. Fry the onion and the zucchini slices. Place the vegetables in a bowl.
- Wash and quarter the cherry tomatoes. Drain the grilled peppers from the jar and cut into small pieces. Add them to the fried vegetables in the bowl. Season vegetables with salt and freshly ground black pepper, add some black cumin to taste, add the basil leaves in the whole and mix all the ingredients well.
- Add the vegan alternative to cheese to the rest of the ingredients into the bowl and mix everything.
- With a sharp knife carefully cut the pita bread in half horizontally but don’t separate top and bottom completely. Fill the bread gently with the vegetable filling. Briefly fry both side of the stuffed breads in the pan using the remaining olive oil until the vegan alternative to cheese is melted. Press down the bread with a big spatula or a pot while frying.
Our tip: Our grilled vegetable panini are a perfect a supplement for a hearty vegan grilling session!
Recipe by Sophie Mathisz