1. Slice the onions into rings
2. Heat the ‘butter’ in a saucepan and fry the onions until translucent.
3. Dust with flour and sauté for 5 minutes while stirring.
4. Deglaze with the white wine and pour in the stock.
5. Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg and thyme and simmer for 20 minutes over a low heat.
6. In the meantime, slice the white bread and toast it until crisp or toast it in a pan.
7. Drizzle with olive oil and rub the garlic over the crusty bread
8. Now pour the onion soup into ovenproof bowls. Place 1-2 slices of bread on top of the soup in each bowl.
9. Spread the cheese alternative over the top and gratinate in the oven at 180 degrees for 4-5 minutes
10. To serve, sprinkle a little thyme over the onion soup and enjoy