Ingredients (for three people):
ORANGE BALM CREAM:
- 200ml unsweetened soy cream, whippable (cold)
- 2 packs vanilla sugar
- 2 large oranges, juice and possibly shell
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 10 leaves of lemon balm
- 2 large oranges, fruit pulp and possibly shell
- sugar to taste
- optional: 1-2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- some lemon balm leaves
- dark chocolate
Orange Cup Mug:
- Cut off the lid of an orange. Cut along the white inner shell as deep as possible, using a small sharp knife. Separate fruit and shell. The best way to separate the pulp, is to cut it crosswise and take out the fruit pieces with a sharp edged spoon. Store the hollowed oranges in the freezer.
- The pulp can be filleted and processed into orange sorbet or pressed and processed into orange balm ice cream (see descriptions).
Chocolate Lemon Balm Leaves:
- Melt some dark chocolate in a double boiler. Wash lemon balm leaves and pat dry. Dip the leaves halfway into the melted chocolate and allow them to drain on a cooling rack. Store chocolate balm leaves in the refrigerator.
Orange Balm Ice:
- Whip soy cream with a mixer, add vanilla sugar and whip completely stiff.
- Squeeze oranges carefully, sieve the juice (coarse pieces and seeds should remain only). Place sugar in a small saucepan and heat with 2 tablespoons of orange juice, simmer together with stirring until a syrup is obtained. Allow orange syrup to cool for a few minutes.
- Chop lemon balm leaves into very fine pieces. Fold balm and cooled orange syrup slowly into the whipped cream. Put the mixture in a bowl and store in the freezer. Stir the ice thoroughly every 30-40 minutes to receive a smooth and creamy consistency (5 – 6 stirring).
- Filet the oranges (cut off peel, remove inner white peel), cut them into pieces and store side by side in the freezer (1 hour).
- Take the frozen orange filet pieces from the freezer and let them shortly thaw. Place the half-frozen fruit pieces in a high bowl and mash with a hand blender into a creamy ice, add additional sweeteners (vanilla sugar, agave syrup, etc.) and / or orange liqueur to taste. Serve sorbet immediately or store in the freezer.
Serve orange balm ice cream and / or sorbet in the frozen orange bowls, decorated with chocolate balm leaves and sprinkled with brittle.
Portion: 3 portions ice cream or sorbet
Recipe by Sophie Mathisz